A standard operating procedure, or SOP, is a set of step-by-step instructions compiled by an organization to help workers carry out routine operations. SOPs aim to achieve efficiency, quality output and uniformity of performance, while reducing miscommunication and failure to comply with industry regulations.
A well-written SOP can be used to satisfy compliance requirements. SOPs are recommended for all procedures that pose a potential risk to the health and safety of personnel.
Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) lets you operationalize documents such as plans, regulation, compliance, and policies. SOPs distil requirements contained in these documents into a format that can be used by staff members in their work environment.
An SOP, in fact, defines expected practices in all businesses where quality standards exist. SOPs play an important role in your small business. SOPs are policies, procedures and standards you need in the operations, marketing and administration disciplines within your business to ensure success. These can create:
- efficiencies, and therefore profitability
- consistency and reliability in production and service
- fewer errors in all areas
- a way to resolve conflicts between partners
- a healthy and safe environment
- protection of employers in areas of potential liability and personnel matters
- a roadmap for how to resolve issues – and the removal of emotion from troubleshooting – allowing needed focus on solving the problem
- a first line of defense in any inspection, whether it be by a regulatory body, a partner or potential partner, a client, or a firm conducting due diligence for a possible purchase
- value added to your business should you ever wish to sell it
Developing an SOP is about systemizing all of your processes and documenting them.
Every business has a unique market, every entrepreneur has his/her own leadership style, and every industry has its own best practices. No two businesses will have an identical collection of SOPs.
We help our client setting up their Standard Operating procedures to ensure the smooth and efficient operations of their business processes.